Saturday, February 20, 2016

What I Saw In America

America: - America in my interpretation refers to the United States of America.

America… a country of big dreams, opportunities, freedom, new beginnings and for some people, an adventure of a life time.

A country consisting of 52 states - each of different diversities and unique commodities.  Many, like myself have taken that blind suicidal leap of faith in the search of the American dream.

Growing up in the islands of Trinidad and Tobago, I recall being bombarded by television shows like “Full House”, “Family Matters,” and the “Fresh Prince of Bell Air” just to name a few, that would always spike my interest.  I was intrigued by these daily shows. America seemed pleasant and welcoming. There were images of white picket fences, pools, family togetherness and structured family lives. There was an array of happiness with children playing in the streets and playgrounds. Tranquility and peacefulness…it’s a dream that every little island girl had – just like the 1988 film, “Coming to America”.

America seemed inviting based on what has been portrayed on television over and over.  Why not take a chance?  Even the prince of Zamunda was willing to come to America and find his wife.



Zamunda… this was a FICTIONAL AFRICAN NATION (This should have been my wake-up call).

In reality, life in America and the television life are two different lives entirely. What I have learned in my own personal experience is that America wouldn’t just hand you the American dream in your hands. The American dream can only be accomplished by working hard and not giving up.

Unfortunately, there are so many flaws in this country which I love and call my own.
The truth is that the world itself has changed. People are now filled with hatred, greed and the need for power. Terrorists and their sinister notions of holy wars have begun to destroy of nations and society.

I choose this paragraph from WHAT I SAW IN AMERICA by G.K  CHESTERTON.
The officials I interviewed were very American, especially in being very polite, for whatever may have been the mood or meaning of Martin Chuzzlewit, I have always found Americans by far the politest people in the world.” (Chesterton, 2008)

My interpretation of this is mainly that that author is being very sarcastic, considering that treatment he received. He saw the real America before he officially entered the country. The interrogation and the depth of the questions and questioning made him felt like he was a threat to the country. He was humiliated by the process. In my opinion I understand what needs to be done in order to protect the people of this country.  It is indeed the officials jobs to ask questions to determine the state of mind of the individuals that enter the country. September 11th 2001, would never be forgotten as so many innocent lives had been taken. It occurred on American soil while the entire world looked on helplessly. Terrorism has manipulated the mind set of many, thus, the process of entering this country has become a challenge. Everyone has to be stripped and scrutinized as everyone is considered a potential threat.



+

No comments:

Post a Comment